Cellphone and PDA usability screening is critical on your business. In fact , mobile and handheld user friendliness testing could be even more important than computer-based simplicity testing. The key reasons for this are:
— The number of persons accessing the world wide web from cellular and portable devices is usually increasing for a massive cnctinthanh.com price – in 2008 together there’ll always be an estimated 49 million PDAs sold throughout the world.
— People generally have a lot less experience of using their mobile to get online than they do of using their computer system. This means that computer-based users can be assumed to possess a higher level of existing expertise than mobile and handheld users.
— The platform by which users gain access to your site is far less foreseen when using mobile phones. Computer-based site visitors generally just differ from one another in their browser and main system (i. electronic. most people will use a screen, mouse and keyboard), whereas different types of mobile phones and PDAs vary can substantially.
Which mobile phones and PDAs must you consider?
Mobiles and PDAs can differ from one another considerably, and this should radically alter how persons experience and use websites. Some of the ways in which handheld units can differ include:
– Screen size (small vs . large)
– Display screen layout (portrait vs . landscape)
– Input device (stylus, numeric keypad, dial-wheel, QWERTY keypad)
Because the cellphone / PERSONAL DIGITAL ASSISTANT that somebody is using will have this sort of a unique effect on all their experience of your site, you should try to evaluate with several mobile phones and PDAs as is feasible.
Of course , testing with every mobile phone and PERSONAL DIGITAL ASSISTANT is not possible. Here are some tips to help reduce the number of equipment you’ll need to evaluation with:
— Your portable site visitors may well belong to a unique audience. Particular audiences are likely to prefer particular types of phones (e. g. smartphone with big screens that can support online access versus small-screen products that aren’t).
– You will find ‘phone families’ that offer a very similar user experience (and will not likely need to be examined individually).
– You may want to00 test while using most well-known mobile phones in Europe or perhaps the most well-known models that are being used to access your site (you can check your site statistics to find out this information).
Who do you need to test with?
The people you need to conduct your mobile phone user friendliness testing treatments with will certainly, of course , depend on your particular organization and its readership. Some things to bear in mind include:
— How much experience they should own of utilizing their mobile phones to view services. This really is particularly important as the market just for accessing on-line services through mobile phones keeps growing and the percent of ‘complete novices’ (i. e. people using the technology for the first time) will be a long way higher than for the purpose of computer users of your website.
– Which cellular phone or PERSONAL DIGITAL ASSISTANT they have. We would usually advise that people use their own cellular phone in a appointment, so the test can focus on your website and not just on the way the hand-held device performs.
Where should mobile phone usability testing sessions always be conducted?
Mobiles and PDAs are used in the real world hence usability tests of handheld devices should therefore not simply take place in a usability laboratory.
Where, the moment and how a mobile phone is used is critical into a person’s connection with the site they are accessing. Some following circumstances could affect this experience and therefore concerns of the website’s usability:
– Background sound
– Contingency tasks (i. e. nearly anything the person has been doing at the same time)
– Physical movement
As such, we’d recommend, if at all possible, that virtually any mobile phone and PDA usability testing is definitely conducted in a lab and also in the ‘outside world’.
How you program and work mobile phone usability sessions depends on your organization and its visitors, but the the majority of popular strategies of mobile simplicity testing contain:
– Lab-based (using a camera to record the session)
— Diary-studies (asking people to retain a journal of how they may have used their mobile phone and any challenges they encounter)
– Magazine prototypes (running usability assessment on a paper-based version of your site, employing mobile phone screen-sized pieces of paper)
Powered by Facebook Comments